My teenage son insisted on visiting his girlfriend in Camber come what may yesterday. When he thought there were no buses from Rye to Camber instead of coming home he insisted on walking there in the snow. I was relieved to get a call saying he had arrived safely but then was panicking at the thought of him doing the same thing in the dark coming home - and, typical teenager, (i.e. think they're invincible) he was wearing trainers and no coat, just two t-shirts and a hoodie. Even more relieved to get a text saying he was on the bus coming home!>
The summer before last he insisted on walking from Hastings to Rye on the hottest day of the year.>
I suppose I would rather he did these sort of things to prove his manhood, so to speak, than get into fights, mug old ladies, burgle houses, smoke or drink himself silly. When I look at the problems some families are encountering I know how lucky I am. But I'm a mum ... and worrying comes with the territory!>
I am envious of his ability to ignore the cold. I am wearing three pairs of socks and my feet are still cold. I haven't been able to get over to Bexhill to finish the job I started on Tuesday so am stuck at home burning gas. I have just stuck bubblewrap on one window to try and keep the heat in. I don't care how silly it looks!>

No comments:
Post a Comment